Situated about 150 metres from Shortstown in the tiny hamlet of Harrowden this once busy pub has now closed. Over the years it has offered hospitality not just to local people in Harrowden and Shortstown but to the hundreds of men and women who worked on the airships between 1917-1930 and then later to thousands of people when the camp became RAF Cardington. Certainly it is known that the R101 crew used the pub and it is recalled by locals that there used to be many pictures of the airships displayed inside.
During WWII and the years following weekly dances were held at RAF Cardington and the pub was extremely busy as no alcohol was allowed at the dances so people would stop at The Gate before moving on to the Camp.
The pub finally closed its doors in 2010 and it is not known what will happen to the premises.