Welcome to the Shortstown Heritage website. This site was set up in 2009 to celebrate our extraordinary past. Shortstown near Bedford was built in 1917 by the Short brothers to house workers on their airships originally intended to be used in the First World War. The houses still standing today were opposite the airship construction site. Work was halted on all airships following the crash of the R38 in 1921 and revived in 1925 when work began on the famous R101 airship only to end in 1930 when it crashed. A little known fact is that eighteen of the crew who died in the R101 crash had lived in Shortstown.
The year 2017 marks a very special year for Shortstown - we are now 100 years old!